School Social Work for MSSA and MSW Graduates: Post Graduate Licensure


Professional social workers play a vital role in helping school children of all ages. Traditionally, school social workers serve as liaisons between the home, the school, and the community, playing an important part of the school team. School social workers contribute to programs designed for students at-risk due to a variety of factors, including:

  • emotional problems
  • poor self-esteem
  • child abuse and domestic violence
  • poverty and unemployment
  • suicidal behavior, drug and alcohol abuse
  • teen pregnancy and parenting
  • discrimination
  • attendance-related issues


  • The applicant must have graduated within the past five years from the Mandel School, holding an MSSA degree, or from a CSWE accredited graduate social work program with an MSW or equivalent.
  • The applicant must have completed at minimum required coursework for the Children, Youth and Family (CYF) specialization or the Mandel School Social Work program. Non-Mandel School social work graduates must provide evidence of successful completion (a grade of B or better) of coursework equivalent to that required for school social work in the Mandel School master degree program.
  • The applicant must have completed a supervised field placement in a school setting or must have current work experience in a school setting (current is defined as “presently employed”) or work experience no more than 1 year old from the time of application).


Use the self-application form Post-master’s Certificate in School Social Work Application Checklist. Be sure to include the following:

  • a one-page statement indicating the reason for consideration for the Post-Graduate School Social Work Program;
  • the most recent transcript indicating your graduation from an accredited masters social work program ( a copy is sufficient)
  • evidence of completion of a field placement in a school setting (e.g., field learning evaluations, letter from field instructor or field education director) and/or work (e.g. , job description, contract) experience in a school;
  • evidence of any coursework completed post-Master’s;
  • evidence of social work licensure status;


The Director of School Social Work and the Director of Field Education will review the material submitted and make a decision as to additional courses or experience that will be required. The School Social Work Director may consult with Baldwin Wallace University regarding needed or prior education courses completed; Baldwin Wallace University makes all decisions regarding transfer of credit for previous education courses completed. After review, the applicant will receive a written list of coursework and/or other requirements needing successful completion in order to qualify for licensure.


While each applicant’s file is reviewed individually, in general, those individuals completing coursework toward SSW licensure will need to enroll in and successfully complete (earn credits) of at least the following courses:

  1. SASS 519: Children and Families in the School Setting (offered Fall Semester at the Mandel School) (3 credits)
  2. EDU 510: Educational Studies (BW) (3 credits)
  3. EDU 573: Education of Children with Special Needs (BW)  (3 credits)
  4. EDU 584: Pupil Services & Community Resources (BW) (3 credits)


  • Complete Baldwin Wallace’s online application for admission to the Graduate Education program. Select CWRU School Social Work as your program of interest.
  • From the BW page, print the School Social Work Enrollment Eligibility form and return it completed to Sarah Andrews, Director of School Social Work or Debra Fields, Registrar.  Baldwin Wallace University will accept a faxed copy of the signed Enrollment Eligibility Form only when it is faxed from the Mandel School Registrar to the BW Admission Office at 440.826.2778
  • Once you have received a letter of admission from Baldwin Wallace University, you are generally able to register for BW courses over the phone by contacting Gail Habig, Program Assistant, at 440.826.6534.
  • Review the required school social work course schedule. BW’s complete schedule of courses can be found here.
  • Current BW tuition costs are online.
  • BW will bill students; payment is not needed at the time of registration.


At the end of each Baldwin Wallace term, students must request that BW transcripts be sent to:

Debra A. Fields, Registrar
Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences
Case Western Reserve University
11235 Bellflower Road
Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7164

Please remember to request transcripts.  Credits will not be automatically transferred.  Transcripts Request Forms can be obtained from the Baldwin Wallace University Registration & Records Office (440.826.2126) or Mandel School Student Services.  Baldwin Wallace credits will appear on the CWRU transcript, but will not be reflected in the GPA.


Once you’ve been approved for the program you must complete the Mandel School Non-Degree Student Application. When the application is complete contact Debra Fields, Mandel School Registrar, at 216.368.2101 for the current Mandel School tuition per credit hour and the date when non-degree students may register for Mandel School courses. The School Social Work course SASS 519 is three credits. You must present payment in full (payable to CWRU) and your undergraduate degree from an accredited university or an official unopened transcript at the time of registration. Registration for non-degree students at the Mandel School generally takes place the day before classes start each semester.


Mandel School grant assistance is not available for this program. Participants are registered as non-degree students at the Mandel School and are not Mandel School graduates upon completion of courses. Please contact Baldwin Wallace University to inquire about financial aid for their coursework.

At the completion of the program, the following should be sent to:

Jane M. Ciuni, MEd
Licensure Specialist
School of Education
Baldwin Wallace University
275 Eastland Road
Berea, Ohio 44017

  • A Verification Letter from the Mandel School signed by Sarah Andrews, Director of School Social Work, and Amy Korsch-Williams, Director of Field Education, verifying that you completed all of the course and field experience requirements.  This is sent from the Office of Academic Affairs.  Note: The Mandel School Registrar authorizes this letter only after all BW University course credits have been transferred to the Mandel School.  Upon completion of all BW courses, students must request transcripts to be sent to the Mandel School Registrar.  Credits are not automatically transferred.  Please make sure we have your current address.
  • Official Transcript. You will need to have an official transcript from Mandel School sent to the Licensure Specialist in the School of Education at Baldwin Wallace University (275 Eastland Rd., Berea, OH 44017)
  • Valid FBI and BCI Background Checks are required for licensure. Candidates may complete fingerprinting services with any area provider. Paper copies of the reports should be sent to Baldwin Wallace University and electronic copies should be sent directly to the Ohio Department of Education.
  • Five-Year Pupil Services License Application.  Applications for licensure must be submitted through the official ODE/SAFE website . Candidates will first need to register for an active account on the website and then submit an application for a Pupil Services License – 5 Year in the field of School Social Worker. Then, select Baldwin Wallace Univesristy as the institution attended in order for the university to review the application. Graduates eligible to apply for the Ohio Department of Education School Social Work credential must do so within six years of completing their coursework. (Baldwin Wallace Division of Education, 2018).


Mandel School
Sarah Andrews, LISW-S
Director of School Social Work

Baldwin-Wallace University

Jane M. Ciuni, MEd
Licensure Specialist

Gail Habig
Graduate Academic Advisor