School Social Work for Currently-Enrolled MSSA Students
Professional social workers play a vital role in helping school children of all ages. Traditionally, school social workers serve as liaisons between the home, school and community, playing an important part of the school team. School social workers contribute to programs designed for students at-risk due to a variety of factors, including:
- emotional problems
- poor self-esteem
- child abuse and domestic violence
- poverty and unemployment
- suicidal behavior, drug and alcohol abuse
- teen pregnancy and parenting
- attendance-related issues
HOW THE SCHOOL SOCIAL WORK PROGRAM WORKS
Mandel School on-campus MSSA students in the School Social Work program complete:
- A specialized academic plan in school social work at the Mandel School;
- Three graduate education courses at our exclusive partner, Baldwin Wallace University (BW) in Berea, Ohio; and
- One of year of supervised field education in a school setting.
After completion of all coursework and field requirements, students become eligible to apply for a school social work license granted by the State of Ohio Department of Education.
APPLICATION AND REGISTRATION FOR BALDWIN WALLACE UNIVERSITY
- Complete Baldwin Wallace’s online application for admission to the Graduate Education program. Select CWRU School Social Work as your program of interest.
- From the BW page, print the School Social Work Enrollment Eligibility form and return it completed to Sarah Andrews, Director of School Social Work or Debra Fields, Registrar. Baldwin Wallace University will accept a faxed copy of the signed Enrollment Eligibility Form only when it is faxed from the Mandel School Registrar to the BW Admission Office at 440.826.2778
- Once you have received a letter of admission from Baldwin Wallace University, you are generally able to register for BW courses over the phone by contacting Gail Habig, Program Assistant, at 440.826.6534.
- Review the required school social work course schedule. BW’s complete schedule of courses can be found here.
- Current BW tuition costs are online.
- BW will bill students; payment is not needed at the time of registration.
At the end of each Baldwin Wallace term, students must request that BW transcripts be sent to:
Debra A. Fields, Registrar
Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences
Case Western Reserve University
11235 Bellflower Road
Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7164
Please remember to request transcripts. Credits will not be automatically transferred. Transcript Request Forms can be obtained from the Baldwin Wallace University Registration & Records Office (440.826.2126) or Mandel School Student Services. Baldwin Wallace credits will appear on the CWRU transcript, but will not be reflected in the GPA.
FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION AND TIPS
Financial Aid packages, which may include scholarships, grants, work study awards, and/or need and non-need based loans, are available for this program through the Mandel School.
Prior to each term, notify the Mandel School Financial Aid Office, in writing, of your BW registration and tuition charges. Baldwin Wallace tuition charges will be added to your aid budget and considered in your financial aid package.
School Social Work students ordinarily take courses at Baldwin Wallace (BW) during the summer semester. However, if you do not have the resources to pay for the summer BW classes, you may increase your federal loans to assist with paying BW tuition. Because the Mandel School is your home school, we will process your loan request. If you want to borrow from the federal loan programs, please follow the three steps below:
- Notify the Mandel School Financial Aid Office at email@example.com that you want to borrow from the federal loan programs. In your email, let us know how many BW credit hours and how many Mandel School credit hours you will take during the summer semester. We will notify the Office of University Financial Aid to process your loans to include credit hours outside of Mandel School. Note: The Office of University Financial Aid will begin financial aid processing for graduate students in early May for the next academic year.
- Make sure you have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is available online at http://www.fafsa.edu.gov/. The six-digit federal school code for the Mandel School is E00084.
- Also be sure to complete the Case Financial Aid Application. This application is available on briefCASE. Go to http://financialaid.case.edu/, click on the link to briefCASE, login using your CaseNet ID and password.
- Submit all documentation of income (taxable and untaxed) if required and respond to all requests for additional information.
- Accept your financial aid award in briefCASE.
- Complete online Entrance Counseling and sign Promissory Notes online if accepting federal loans for the first time.
BW tuition is not billed through Case Western Reserve University; you are responsible for paying them directly. Financial aid over and beyond the cost of tuition will be issued to you in the form of a refund check. Checks are issued after the add/drop period each term and will be mailed to your local (current) address in the Student Information System. If your financial aid exceeds CWRU tuition, you may use your refund check to pay for your BW courses.
If you have questions about BW tuition and payment due dates please contact BW at 440.826.2217. If you have financial aid questions, please contact Mandel School Admissions at 216.368.1655 or MandelSchool@case.edu.
REFUNDS AND REFUND ADVANCES
Once your loan funds are received, the Office of University Financial Aid will apply your funds to your CWRU tuition and fees and them issue a refund check to you. It is possible to request a refund advance to help with books and other supplies. Submit a request to the Mandel School Financial Aid Office before the beginning of each term. This check must be picked up at the Cashier’s Office, Yost Hall 127.
Students must complete one academic year of field placement in an approved school social work setting. Generally, placements are available in the Cleveland Metropolitan School District, as well as several suburban school districts, such as Cleveland Heights/University Heights, Shaker Heights, Parma Heights, Beachwood, and South Euclid/Lyndhurst. School placements are also available in private and vocational schools, among other school-based sites. A list of current placements and field instructors can be obtained from the Field Education Office. When students complete their field education placement forms, which ordinarily are distributed to all first year students during the Spring semester, they should indicate that they are in the School Social Work Program. The Field Education Office will provide information on interviewing sites.
Since school hours are shorter than most other agencies’ hours, you can include other assignments, research, or special projects assigned by your Field Instructor and included in the learning contract as part of your field hours. Please contact your field advisor to discuss what is acceptable. Your field faculty advisor must approve any extra hours that you may need to meet the minimum field requirements.
APPLICATION FOR LICENSURE
At the completion of the program, the following should be sent to:
School of Education
Baldwin Wallace University
275 Eastland Road
Berea, Ohio 44017
- A Verification Letter from the Mandel School signed by Sarah Andrews, Director of School Social Work, and Amy Korsch-Williams, Director of Field Education, verifying that you completed all of the course and field experience requirements. This is sent from the Office of Academic Affairs. Note: The Mandel School Registrar authorizes this letter only after all BW University course credits have been transferred to the Mandel School. Upon completion of all BW courses, students must request transcripts to be sent to the Mandel School Registrar. Credits are not automatically transferred. Please make sure we have your current address.
- Official Transcript. You will need to have an official transcript from Mandel School sent to the Licensure Specialist in the School of Education at Baldwin Wallace University (275 Eastland Rd., Berea, OH 44017)
- Valid FBI and BCI Background Checks are required for licensure. Candidates may complete fingerprinting services with any area provider. Paper copies of the reports should be sent to Baldwin Wallace University and electronic copies should be sent directly to the Ohio Department of Education.
- Five-Year Pupil Services License Application. Applications for licensure must be submitted through the official ODE/SAFE website. Candidates will first need to register for an active account on the website and then submit an application for a Pupil Services License – 5 Year in the field of School Social Worker. Then, select Baldwin Wallace University as the institution attended in order for the university to review the application.
Graduate Academic Advisor