Office of the Registrar


Address 11235 Bellflower Road, Suite 121
Cleveland, OH 44106-7164
Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Telephone: (216)368-2101
Fax: (216)368-5065

To request an official transcript, see the University Registrar.

The Mandel School Academic Calendar 2017-18(pdf)
An academic calendar is available to all students. It lists important dates for you to save and remember throughout the academic year.
Mandel School Events Calendar 
The Mandel School Calendar of Events features events related to the entire Mandel School community of students, staff and faculty.

Students are expected to attend all classes. If a student is unable to attend class, he/she/they must let the instructor know in advance. A message on the instructor’s voice mail or e‐mail is sufficient if it is sent before the class meets. Attendance will be taken at all class sessions. If the student misses a class, the student is responsible for making up any missed work and for obtaining any other information that was disseminated in class. Students who miss more than 20% of class meetings, for any reason, will not be eligible to receive credit for the course and will be required to withdraw from it or receive a grade of F.

In the Intensive Weekend program, students may not miss more than 6 class hours. In the full‐ time and part‐time programs, students may not miss more than three classes. Instructors have the discretion to establish a stricter policy and list it in the course syllabus.

Instructors may permit exceptions with prior consultation from the Assistant Dean for Student Services and with a written plan signed by both the student and instructor of how time missed from class will be made up. Please note, it is not generally possible to make up missed time because of the nature of most courses.

Policy reaffirmed 9-25-17 by majority faculty vote.

Spring 2018 Course Schedules

Fall 2017 Course Schedules

Summer 2017 Course Schedules

Note: Full-Time MSSA students who want to enroll in a course offered in the Intensive Weekend MSSA program must read the requirements for this type of instruction prior to registration.

2017-2018 Full-time & Intensive Weekend, Course Offerings

2016-2017 – Full-time & Intensive Weekend, Course Offerings
2015-2016 – Master’s Programs, Course Descriptions
– Master’s Programs, Virtual Course Descriptions
2014-2015 – Full-time & Intensive Weekend, Course Offerings
2013-2014 – Masters Programs, Course Descriptions
2012-2013 – Master’s Programs, Virtual Course Descriptions
2011-2012 – Master’s Programs, Course Descriptions
2009-2010 – Master’s Programs, Course Descriptions
– Master’s Programs, Course Descriptions
– Master’s Programs, Course Descriptions

Our on-campus dual degree programs let you take advantage of other high-caliber graduate programs at the Mandel School and Case Western Reserve University, can help you achieve your professional goals, and will expand your career options by becoming a social worker who has additional knowledge and skills in diverse fields such as nonprofit management, law, and bioethics. We offer:

MSSA/MNO: This social work/nonprofit management program is designed for individuals who have set their sights on becoming managers of human services organizations. For the MSSA, students may pursue either Direct Practice or Community Practice for Social Change concentrations.

MSSA/JD: This dual social work/law degree reflects the transformation in social services, as social workers increasingly enroll in law schools to add to their legal knowledge, while lawyers have expanded their activities into the arena of social work.

MSSA/MBA:  Combining a social work master’s degree with a master’s degree in business administration is ideal for people wishing to prepare for advanced social work practice and gain management-level skills.

MSSA/MA:  A dual Master of Arts in Bioethics and MSSA blends the values of social work with clinical ethics to create an outstanding interdisciplinary experience.

MSSA/MPH: Combining a master’s in social work with a Master’s in Public Health prepares students for leadership in a broad range of health and social services within communities and organizations. Areas of study include prevention program planning, development, and evaluation.

You may drop/add using SIS. The drop/add period concludes after the first two weeks of classes each semester. See the Academic Calendar for exact dates each semester. If you prefer, you may complete the Drop/Add Form and fax it to the Mandel School Registrar at 216.368.5065.

You may petition the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs to repeat a maximum of two courses during your degree
program in order to improve your performance. The petition requires approval from the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs. When complete, submit the Course Repeat Petition Form to the Mandel School Registrar.

If you would like to request an incomplete grade in a course, please complete the Incomplete Request Form with your instructor’s authorization and submit it to the Mandel School Registrar.

You will be notified by the registrar when you are eligible to apply for graduation. After you receive an e-mail notification from the registrar, you may apply for graduation on the Student Information System. If you have any questions, please e-mail Debra A. Fields or call 216.368.2101.

You must use the Student Information System to change your addresses, phone numbers, privacy settings, etc.

Please see the web site for Graduate Studies or the Mandel School Doctoral program or contact the doctoral program assistant at 216.368.2284.

Case e-mail

The Case ITS Students page will give you information on how to change your Case e-mail password and how to forward your Case e-mail to a personal or work e-mail account. It is mandatory that all Case students activate their free e-mail address. In order to access your confidential account online, you will need your Case e-mail ID (i.e., xyz123) and password. Information regarding course registration, change in classes, information from the Dean, commencement, etc. is sent to your Case e-mail.  You can access your free Case e-mail at Also, you will need your Case e-mail ID and password to view your grades and unofficial transcript on-line at the Student Information System.

View the Case Registrar Degree Verification page for information on enrollment verification. Requests for information to be released to a third-party must be submitted in writing to the registrar’s assistant. Five business days should be allotted for processing.

Independent Study SASS 598
If you would like to enroll in an Independent Study (SASS 598), please complete and submit the Independent Study Agreement form.

Independent Study with Dr. Groza
If you would like to enroll in an Independent Study specifically with Dr. Victor Groza, then please complete and submit the Independent Study Agreement with Dr. Groza form.

Independent Study for Undergraduate STudents
If you are an undergraduate student and would like to enroll in an Independent Study (SASS 390), please complete and submit the Independent Study for Undergraduates Agreement form.

Independent Research Practicum
If you would like to enroll in an Independent Research Practicum (SRCH 536), please complete and submit the Individual Research Practicum Study Agreement form.

Travel & Study Abroad
If you would like to enroll in the Travel & Study Abroad course (SASS 575), please complete and submit the Individual Travel & Study Seminar Agreement form.

You must request a loan deferment form from your Lender each semester. Once completed, loan deferment forms must be submitted to:

CWRU Registrar’s Verification Office
10900 Euclid Avenue 135 Yost Hall
Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7042

Note: Processing will not occur until after the drop/add period of each semester.

Any Name/Social Security Number changes must be completed by filling out this form. For changes to your Social Security Number, please submit your original signed Social Security Card to the Registrar. For changes to your legal name, please submit an original court order, certified marriage certificate and/or certified divorce decree. These documents must accompany the form and be submitted to:

Mandel School Registrar
The Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences
11235 Bellflower Road
Cleveland, OH 44106

Office hours are from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. These documents must be presented in person.

Pattern of Enrollment for the Fall 2014 Semester

Available listing of the courses according to each concentration / specialization available for students enrolled in the

Certificate Programs


Students with an interest in serving the needs of the aging population may be interested in the multidisciplinary graduate certificate program offered through the Case Western Reserve University Center on Aging and Health. This program is designed for gerontological researchers, educators and practitioners. For more information, contact The University Center on Aging and Health at 216.368.2692. Or, you can contact Merl C. Hokenstad, PhD, at 216.368.2323.

Eligibility and Coursework Requirements

Notice of Intent to Pursue

Global Health

Global Health is the broadest concept of public health, focusing on international aspects of disease transmissions, diagnosis, treatment, policy and prevention. The overall objective of this interdisciplinary certificate is to support MSASS students with interests in “health problems, issues, and concerns that transcend national boundaries, may be influenced by circumstances or experiences in other countries, and are best addressed by cooperative actions and solutions.” For more information, contact the Case Western Reserve University Center for Global Health and Diseases at 216. 368.4818. Or, you can contact Sharon E. Milligan, MSW, MPH, PhD, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs at 216.368.2335.
Global Health Fact Sheet
Notice of Intent to Pursue

School Social Work

The School Social Work program is designed to train school social workers and provide them with the competencies to practice in a variety of traditional and non-traditional primary and secondary education settings. Such competencies include assessing the needs of school children, designing and implementing interventions, and making referrals to other professionals and agencies as needed. School social workers are prepared to function collaboratively with other professionals, and assist the school and the community in mobilizing necessary resources on behalf of children and adolescents. For more information, please refer to the School Social Work Program. Or, you can contact Sarah Andrews, MSSA, Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs at 216.368.2327.

School Social Work Program

Management and Leadership

This certificate allows students to pursue 12 academic hours focused coursework designed to prepare them for managing and leading in a range of social welfare settings. The certificate is available to all MSSA students regardless of concentration or specialization, and can be completed within the normal master’s framework. To do so, students add to or substitute for concentration-related electives the courses required for the certificate. The certificate is comprised of four required courses – an introduction to management and leadership (zero credit hours), as well as courses on leadership/supervision, budgeting and finance, and program design. In addition, students select one elective based on their interests from a set of approved courses. If needed, students can seek approval from the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs to exceed 16 hours of coursework in specific semesters in order to complete the certificate. Students have the option of enrolling in the certificate program concurrent with their MSSA or as a non-degree-seeking student at MSASS. These students must complete a non-degree application verifying that they possess a bachelor’s degree in social work or a related field. Students must complete the Notice of Intent to Pursue the CML and submit this to the Office of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs for approval. Specific questions may be directed to Robert Fischer, PhD, the advisor for the certificate program.
Management and Leadership Fact Sheet
Notice of Intent to Pursue the CML

The Proficiency Exams are for entering MSSA students who do not have a Bachelors Degree in Social Work (BSW), but who might have taken courses similar to the foundation curriculum and prefer to waive one or more in favor of more elective courses. No credits hours are granted for passing the Proficiency Exams.  Successful completion of the exam(s) exempts the student from the requirement to complete the course(s).  Elective courses may be substituted in order to earn the required credit hours needed for graduation.

Withdrawal from courses
When a student drops a course(s) after the normal drop/add period, without completely withdrawing from the University, the student will be charged full tuition for the course(s) dropped and will receive a grade of “W”. This rule applies to both semesters and summer session. Not attending a course does not constitute withdrawing from a course. Contact the Mandel School Registrar for details on this process.

Withdrawal from the University
Students withdrawing from the Mandel School must meet with Assistant Dean Andrea Porter for an exit interview and return their University student ID, prior to completing the withdrawal process on the Student Information System. See the refund percentage table (by date) on the Case Registrar Withdrawal and Tuition Refunds page. Call 216.368.2280 or visit Student Services in Room 121 for more information.

View the Case Registrar Transcript Request page for an overview of requesting official transcripts. You must notify the Office of the University Registrar (in person or via U.S. mail) to request an original official transcript.