Mark Joseph, an associate professor at the Mandel School and director of the National Initiative on Mixed Income Communities, spent his recent sabbatical in the Department of Geography at the University of Ghana in West Africa, conducting emerging research on mixed-income neighborhoods in Accra.
He’ll be sharing photos and stories from his trip and discussing his research at a presentation on Thursday, October 30, from 12:45 to 1:45 p.m. in room 108 of the Mandel Community Studies Building. Dr. Joseph’s topics include:
- teaching a class of 250 students – seminar style!
- dealing with the emotions of visiting a slave castle
- canoeing to a village on stilts
- drumming with a master drummer – being chased by a monkey
- visiting the amazing first liberal arts college in West Africa (perhaps on the continent)
- dealing with outages of power, water, cooking gas – and an entire capital city running out of petrol
- freestyling with an African dance troupe
- being “arrested” twice, ok more like shaken-down twice…