Megan R. Holmes, PhD
Megan Holmes in the News:
Apr 15 2016
On April 15, hundreds of researchers, scientists and scholars will gather in Case Western Reserve’s Veale Convocation Center for the annual Research ShowCASE, a day filled with exploration and discovery of the university’s exciting research. Check out the full list of Mandel School presenters below, including many faculty members, students and researchers
Faculty (highlighted), Research Staff, and Doctoral Students (bold):
2. Dalhee Yoon, Paul Tuschman, Mark, I. Singer, Margaret Baughman-Sladky, Michael C. Gearhart: “Case Study: Staff Perspectives on the use of Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) in Drug Courts Serving Opioid-Addicted Clients”
3. Dalhee Yoon, David S. Crampton, Susan Yoon, Sarah K. Bearman: “Assessing the Impact of Family Participation on Team Decisionmaking”
5. Aviva Vincent, David L. Hussey, Michelle Riske-Morris: “Reversing the Pipeline: Examining the Need for Transition Planning from Prison to the Community”
7. Robert Fischer, Elizabeth Anthony, Nina Lalich, Marci Blue, Tsui Chan: “Childhood Lead Exposure in the City of Cleveland: Why Point-in-Time Estimates Aren’t Enough”
8. Seungjong Cho, Sun Kyung Kim: “Adjustment Problems of Female Spouses of International Students: Theoretical Frameworks” (Oral Presentation)
9. Weidi Qin: “Patterns of Diabetes Among Asian Americans”
Undergraduate Students (Research Advisor: Sharon Milligan):
1. Chelsea Smith: “The Causes and Treatments for Eating Disorders: A literature Review”
2. Amy Wang: “The relationship between socioeconomic status and other demographic factors and dental health behavior”
3. Feifei Deng: “Oral Health and Its Impact on General Health: A Literature Review of Society’s Response”
4. Isabelle Haney: “Mental Health Prevalence, Stigma, and Resources among College Students”
5. Amarinder Syan: “The Impact of Food Deserts on Food Insecurity in the United States”
Undergraduate Students (Research Advisor: Megan Holmes):
1. Michaela Epperson: “Beliefs, Resiliency, and Experiences with Intimate Partner Violence”
Undergraduate Students (Research Advisor: Debra R. Hrouda):
1. Debra Hrouda, Jennifer Collins-Lakner, Christopher Mayer, Megan Mathur: “Identifying the Critical Ingredients of an Evidence-Based Practice: Seeking Expert Opinions”
MSSA Students (Research Advisor: Debra R. Hrouda):
1. Debra Hrouda, Jennifer Collins-Lakner, Christopher Mayer, Megan Mathur:
“Identifying the Critical Ingredients of an Evidence-Based Practice: A Targeted Literature Review”
Feb 27 2016
On April 16, 2016, Assistant Professor Megan Holmes, PhD, will be present the lecture “Resilience in Adversity: Promoting Positive Outcomes for Maltreated Children” as part of the 2015-2016 Schubert Center for Child Studies Conversation Series, which engages the CWRU community with researchers, professors, and other members of the community whose work benefits the lives of young people and families. This lecture takes place from 11:30am to 1:00pm in Room 115 at the Mandel Center for Community Studies and is free and open to all. For more information or to register, visit schubert.case.edu.
Oct 12 2015
There are a variety of ways you can join the Mandel School at the Council on Social Work Education 61st Annual Program Meeting (#2015APM), the premiere conference for social justice professionals on October 15-18 in Denver, Colorado.
+ Visit us at booth #517. We have special Centennial gifts and lots of great information for our alumni, colleagues, and prospective students.
+ Join us at a private reception for Mandel School alumni, faculty and students to celebrate our Centennial and another record year of research. It is on Friday, October 16, at 5pm at Katie Mullen’s Irish Pub & Restaurant. To RSVP, contact Nada DiFranco (email@example.com). We are also hosting a Centennial Salon for Denver-area alumni hosted by Amy McClellan, MNO 1998, on Thursday, October 15. To RSVP for that alumni networking event, contact Marianne Lax (Marianne.firstname.lastname@example.org).
+ Join Dr. Terry Hokenstad, Distinguished University Professor, at the Hokenstad International Lecture on Friday, October 16. Dr. Vishanthie Sewpaul from the University of KwaZulu Natal Durban and the South Africa President of the Association of Schools of Social Work in Africa will present “Challenges to the West and the Rest Value Dichotomies: Culture, Human Rights and Social Work.”
+ An article by doctoral program alumnus Craig R. Boitel, PhD 2002, “Defining Signature Pedagogy in Social Work Education: Learning Theory and the Learning Contract,” which appeared in the Fall 2014 issue of the Journal of Social Work Education was chosen as a JSWE Best Conceptual Article. He will be honored at the Reviewers Reception on Saturday, October 17.
+ Doctoral students Susan Yoon and Hyunyong Park will receive the Outstanding Dissertation Proposal Award by the Korean-American Social Work Educator Association (KASWEA) at the conference. Only two awardees were selected this year and both were from the Mandel School!
+ Presentations by our faculty (bold) and doctoral students (italics):
- Yoon, Susan & Kobulsky, Julia, Voith, L. A. Steigerwald, S. (alumna) Violence exposure and adolescent behavior problems: Parent-child relationships as a mediator. Abstract accepted for interactive poster presentation.
- Holmes, Megan R., Yoon, Susan & Kobulsky, Julia Resilience in physically abused children: Protective factors for aggression. Abstract accepted for oral presentation.
- Riley-Behringer, M. (alumna), Cage, Jamie, & Yoon, Susan Helping Direct Practice Social Work Students Embrace Their Inner Policy Wonk. Abstract accepted for interactive workshop.
- Tracy, Elizabeth M., Wood, Zoe Breen, Farkas, Kathleen Making the transition from classroom to online education….and back again. Workshop abstract accepted to present at a Faculty Development Institute.
- Wood, Zoe & Riley-Behringer, M. (alumna) Be Left for a Newer Model? HBSE Needs a Little Work Done! Abstract accepted for a discussion group section.
- Hokenstad, M.C. Engaging in Social Work Education across Borders: Opportunities & Lessons Learned. Abstract accepted for a Partnership Presentation.
- Hokenstad, M.C. Panelist. Representing Social Work Education at the United Nations. Sponsored by IASSW.
+ Alumni presenters: David Beimers, PhD 2009; Ralph Belk, MSSA 1996; Carlton David Craig, MSSA 1993; Emily Dakin, MSSA 2001, PhD 2004; Fran Danis, PhD 2000; Laurel Davis, MSSA 1978; Abbie Frost, MSSA 1977, PhD 1984; Altaf Husain, MSSA 1994; Robert Keefe, MSSA 1985; Patricia Kolb, MSSA 1971; Flavio Marsiglia, PhD 1991; Lisa McGuire, PhD 2000; Min So Paek, PhD 2013; Hyeshin Park, MSSA 2010; James Piers, PhD 1997; D. Mark Ragg, PhD 1997; Mary Ann Rawlings, PhD 2008; Joanne Riebschleger, PhD 2001; Maureen Riley-Behringer, MSSA 1994, PhD 2015; Mary Secret, MSSA 1973; Susan Smalling, PhD 2012; and Stacey Steigerwald, MSSA 2015.