With more than 7,800 alumni in all 50 states and 41 countries, our extensive alumni network is a force for positive social change throughout the world and right here at the Mandel School through their generous involvement and leadership.
The compassion and commitment of our alumni is essential to the advancement of our school and the lives our students – from their work on the Alumni Board (which works diligently to organize and participate in Career Nights, Commencement, and other student events) to the Campaign Committee (which is leading the fundraising for our Building Renovation Campaign) to alumni support of the Annual Fund (which is earmarked entirely for student scholarships).
Alumni in the News:
Nov 9 2015
Join the Mandel School at one of the biggest events of the year for Ohio social workers, NASW Ohio’s 2015 Annual Conference, on Thursday, November 12, and Friday, November 13, in Columbus. Also mark your calendar for “When Art Meets Social Justice,” a special Centennial Salon Series event on November 11, on the eve of the conference.
While at the conference, be sure to check out the impressive line-up of alumni presentations:
Scott Wilkes, PhD 2013 (pictured), Assistant Professor and Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs at the Mandel School – Models of Supervision: Theory and Application
Samantha Bechtel, MSSA 1996 – The Healing Power of Life Review
Jenny Hartman, MSSA 2012 – Helping Children Heal from Exposure to Domestic Violence
Janet Hoy, MSSA 1999, PhD 2008 – Co-Presenter: Don’t Be Afraid, We’re Here To Help: Community Health Workers in Ohio
Shirley M. Keller, MSSA 1981, PhD 1999, and Stephanie Rhee, MSSA 1999 – Co-Presenters: Culturally Competent Social Work Practice with Korean Immigrant Elders
Thelma Silver, PhD 1995 – Co-Presenter: Integrating Spirituality into Culturally-Responsive Biopsychosocial Assessments
Stacy Simera, MSSA 1996 – Changing How We View and Advocate for Client Sleep
Beth Thompson, MSSA 2008 – Effective Interventions for Working with Clients on the Autism Spectrum: All Behavior is Communication
Oct 23 2015
Alumni and friends are invited to a Centennial Salon Series event, “When Art Meets Social Justice,” on Wednesday, November 11, at 5:00 p.m. at the Columbus College of Art and Design (CCAD) at 60 Cleveland Avenue in Columbus, Ohio.
On the eve of the NASW Ohio Annual Conference, attendees can enjoy:
- An evening of networking
- Touring the art exhibit “Charles Atlas: The Waning of Justice” (excerpt pictured) with Michael Goodson, Director of Exhibitions at CCAD
- An art discussion led by Carmen Winant, Assistant Professor of Visual Studies at CCAD
- A social justice discussion led by Assistant Professor Mark Chupp, chair of the Community Practice for Social Change MSSA concentration at the Mandel School
- Heavy appetizers and open bar
The salon hosts are Cynthia Webb, MSSA 1995, and Ebony Speakes, MSSA 2011. To attend, please RSVP to Marianne Lax by November 9 at Marianne.Lax@case.edu or call her at 216.368.1832.
Oct 12 2015
There are a variety of ways you can join the Mandel School at the Council on Social Work Education 61st Annual Program Meeting (#2015APM), the premiere conference for social justice professionals on October 15-18 in Denver, Colorado.
+ Visit us at booth #517. We have special Centennial gifts and lots of great information for our alumni, colleagues, and prospective students.
+ Join us at a private reception for Mandel School alumni, faculty and students to celebrate our Centennial and another record year of research. It is on Friday, October 16, at 5pm at Katie Mullen’s Irish Pub & Restaurant. To RSVP, contact Nada DiFranco (firstname.lastname@example.org). We are also hosting a Centennial Salon for Denver-area alumni hosted by Amy McClellan, MNO 1998, on Thursday, October 15. To RSVP for that alumni networking event, contact Marianne Lax (Marianne.email@example.com).
+ Join Dr. Terry Hokenstad, Distinguished University Professor, at the Hokenstad International Lecture on Friday, October 16. Dr. Vishanthie Sewpaul from the University of KwaZulu Natal Durban and the South Africa President of the Association of Schools of Social Work in Africa will present “Challenges to the West and the Rest Value Dichotomies: Culture, Human Rights and Social Work.”
+ An article by doctoral program alumnus Craig R. Boitel, PhD 2002, “Defining Signature Pedagogy in Social Work Education: Learning Theory and the Learning Contract,” which appeared in the Fall 2014 issue of the Journal of Social Work Education was chosen as a JSWE Best Conceptual Article. He will be honored at the Reviewers Reception on Saturday, October 17.
+ Doctoral students Susan Yoon and Hyunyong Park will receive the Outstanding Dissertation Proposal Award by the Korean-American Social Work Educator Association (KASWEA) at the conference. Only two awardees were selected this year and both were from the Mandel School!
+ Presentations by our faculty (bold) and doctoral students (italics):
- Yoon, Susan & Kobulsky, Julia, Voith, L. A. Steigerwald, S. (alumna) Violence exposure and adolescent behavior problems: Parent-child relationships as a mediator. Abstract accepted for interactive poster presentation.
- Holmes, Megan R., Yoon, Susan & Kobulsky, Julia Resilience in physically abused children: Protective factors for aggression. Abstract accepted for oral presentation.
- Riley-Behringer, M. (alumna), Cage, Jamie, & Yoon, Susan Helping Direct Practice Social Work Students Embrace Their Inner Policy Wonk. Abstract accepted for interactive workshop.
- Tracy, Elizabeth M., Wood, Zoe Breen, Farkas, Kathleen Making the transition from classroom to online education….and back again. Workshop abstract accepted to present at a Faculty Development Institute.
- Wood, Zoe & Riley-Behringer, M. (alumna) Be Left for a Newer Model? HBSE Needs a Little Work Done! Abstract accepted for a discussion group section.
- Hokenstad, M.C. Engaging in Social Work Education across Borders: Opportunities & Lessons Learned. Abstract accepted for a Partnership Presentation.
- Hokenstad, M.C. Panelist. Representing Social Work Education at the United Nations. Sponsored by IASSW.
+ Alumni presenters: David Beimers, PhD 2009; Ralph Belk, MSSA 1996; Carlton David Craig, MSSA 1993; Emily Dakin, MSSA 2001, PhD 2004; Fran Danis, PhD 2000; Laurel Davis, MSSA 1978; Abbie Frost, MSSA 1977, PhD 1984; Altaf Husain, MSSA 1994; Robert Keefe, MSSA 1985; Patricia Kolb, MSSA 1971; Flavio Marsiglia, PhD 1991; Lisa McGuire, PhD 2000; Min So Paek, PhD 2013; Hyeshin Park, MSSA 2010; James Piers, PhD 1997; D. Mark Ragg, PhD 1997; Mary Ann Rawlings, PhD 2008; Joanne Riebschleger, PhD 2001; Maureen Riley-Behringer, MSSA 1994, PhD 2015; Mary Secret, MSSA 1973; Susan Smalling, PhD 2012; and Stacey Steigerwald, MSSA 2015.