School Social Work

Professional social workers play a vital role in helping school children of all ages. Traditionally, school social workers serve as liaisons between the home, the school, and the community. Since 1907, school social workers have collaborated with teachers and other school personnel in advancing the purposes of education.

School social workers are an important part of the school team, possessing unique interdisciplinary knowledge. School social workers contribute to programs designed for students at-risk due to a variety of factors, including:

  • emotional problems
  • poor self-esteem
  • child abuse and domestic violence
  • poverty and unemployment
  • suicidal behavior, drug and alcohol abuse
  • teen pregnancy and parenting
  • discrimination
  • attendance related issues

The School Social Work Program is designed to train school social workers and provide them with the competencies to practice in a variety of traditional and non-traditional primary and secondary education settings. Such competencies include assessing the needs of school children, designing and implementing interventions, and making referrals to other professionals and agencies as needed.

The program educates master’s level social work students for practice in school settings. The program is consistent with State of Ohio regulations and professional standards developed by the National Association of Social Workers. The program is a cooperative offering between the Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences (MSASS) at Case Western Reserve University and the Division of Education at Baldwin-Wallace University (B-W). Students in the program will complete the Master of Science in Social Administration (MSSA) degree with a specialization in Children, Youth and Families. As part of the MSSA degree, students will complete three education courses at Baldwin-Wallace University and one year of field practicum in a school setting. The Division of Education at B-W will certify eligible graduates and facilitate their application to the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) for the pupil personnel license, as requests for licensure may only come from a school or department of education at a college or university.

Campus Map     Contact Us     Parking Info     Student Resources     Faculty Resources     Site Map