Application FAQ

There is no application fee.
No. As long as your undergraduate cumulative GPA is above 2.70, those test scores are not necessary. If you have below a 2.7 undergraduate GPA, you are required to take one of the tests.
Admission to the Master’s program at the Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences is granted on a selective basis determined by the quality of the overall application. An applicant is expected to meet the following minimum requirements:

  • A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
  • Evidence of the capacity to succeed in graduate level social work education based on undergraduate work and any previous graduate work. Previous work must include courses in social and behavioral sciences strong enough to ensure the applicant’s ability to do creditable work at the graduate level.
  • A minimum undergraduate grade point average of 2.7. A Miller Analogies Test Score or Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score is required for a grade point average below 2.7.
  • In exceptional cases, applicants who lack the required academic credentials but whose other qualifications are outstanding may be admitted on a probationary basis. Probationary students must achieve at least a 3.0 grade point average in their first semester of coursework (minimum of six credits) to have their probationary status removed and continue in the program.
  • Evidence of a combination of personal qualities and values that are considered essential for the professional practice of social work: Strong moral character; strong analytical and communication skills; a caring and compassionate nature; and a personal commitment to social justice, empowering individuals, and serving vulnerable and under-represented groups.
  • The School may request a personal interview or additional information about an applicant if necessary.
We recommend academic and/or professional references from people who have observed your work and who can objectively judge your potential are the most effective.
The applicant has to be currently employed in the field of social work on a full-time basis. The applicant needs to do field placement at the place that they work, in an atmosphere different from their existing job, under the supervision of someone other than their current supervisor. Their proposed field instructor should have a LISW. (No other licenses will be approved by our field education office.) When applying, the applicant needs to submit a current job description and the resume of their proposed field instructor.
The deposit is not refundable. However, by paying this fee, we can defer your admission a maximum of one year.
Yes, students who do not hold a bachelor’s degree in social work may waive the foundation courses in policy, socio-behavioral theory, and research courses by passing a proficiency examination. Proficiency exams are offered during incoming student orientation. Such waivers do not reduce the credit hour requirements for the degree, but enable students to take advanced elective courses to replace the credit hours. There is no fee for these examinations.